Harvard Business School reports the essential components of sales success are information, intelligence, skill and attitude. But which is No. 1?
Information, intelligence and skill accounts for 7%, while attitude accounts for 93% of sales success. And a great attitude is what you need for prospecting.
Contagious and apparent
A positive attitude is contagious and apparent to decision makers and their gatekeepers. Attitude is not based on optimism but on work, preparation and realistic goals.
Tips for maintaining a positive attitude include:
- Review and remember your accomplishments and successes. Focus on the positive.
- Avoid people who undermine your confidence or make you feel negative.
- If something goes wrong, consider how you can behave differently the next time.
- Maintain pride in your professionalism. Think of yourself as a highly trained, well-prepared consultant who is necessary to helping executives choose the right goods and services for their companies.
- Invest in your profession. Spend the time and money to acquire the tools and training that will help you maintain the highest professional standards.
- Make your goals tangible and keep then nearby to fuel the fire of motivation.
- Keep a diary of every positive thing that happens each day.
- When people are discouraging, success is your greatest revenge. Prove them wrong.
- Face the fear of failure head on. Fear is created by the fearful. Fear is what you imagine it to be, and you can defeat it with positive action.
Source: Barry Farber, president of Farber Training Systems, a sales and management training company.