Selling is an effort to beat the odds of rejection. Even top performers don’t close every sale. But they don’t take the rejection personally either. That’s because they follow these tips to develop sales perseverance:
- Develop good work habits and make them second nature. The better their work habits, the greater their perseverance.
- Maintain a positive mental attitude about being a professional salesperson. The stronger their belief, the more perseverance they develop in their work.
- Learn all they can about their competition and are aware of it at all times. This way they can better discuss the benefits of their products and services.
- Keep up with all changes that affect their business. This ensures they’re never caught off guard.
Regain lost customers
Now here’s how to take that perseverance to regain lost customers:
- Take full responsibility for losing the customer. Failure happens. Real problem-solvers overcome reversal by finding out why they lost the account.
- Accept that something positive can be done now to regain the account.
- Evaluate strengths and weaknesses and come up with a plan of action.
Open new accounts
Here’s how to use perseverance to open new accounts:
- When turned down for an appointment, learn more about that prospect and come back with a new approach.
- Throughout the sales presentation, keep asking questions. Keep asking, keep digging. Never stop asking what, when, where, how and why.
Source: John R. Graham, president of Graham & Associates, a sales and marketing firm based in Quincy, MA.